At WBAALAS, we believe the involvement of laboratory animals is necessary for effective scientific and medical research. Discoveries made utilizing research animals has allowed for a greater quality of life for us all. We are dedicated to ensuring these animals receive proper care and treatment by providing members of the local lab animal community training, forums for discussion, recognition and community networking opportunities.
WBAALAS is the Washington Branch of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. The AALAS includes many branches across the US and even extends internationally through global partner affiliates. Through AALAS, members are offered technician certification programs, access to award-winning publications, political advocacy and support, outreach materials and more
AALAS members have adopted a specific code of ethics to guide their actions in their professional and personal lives.
Each member is required to follow the standards listed below.
- Maintain the highest standard of personal conduct.
- Promote and encourage the highest level of ethics within the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Maintain loyalty to the profession of laboratory animal science and pursue its objective in ways that are consistent with the public interest.
- Recognize and discharge my responsibility and that of my position to uphold all laws and regulations relating to the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use only legal and ethical means in all professional activities.
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information entrusted or known to me by virtue of my position.
- Refuse to engage in, or countenance, activities for personal gain at the expense of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Always communicate associated internal and external statements in a truthful and accurate manner.
- Cooperate in every reasonable and proper way with others and work with them in the advancement of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use every opportunity to improve public understanding of the role of the profession of laboratory animal science.